My world
Monday, April 30, 2012
The new facebook layout makes it easy to see posts and status updates from previous years. It is kind of fun to see what I've written. A couple years ago I wrote something like this: (I post it here because it made me laugh when I reread it.)
When Dave walked by the bathroom he heard Matthew yell out, "I won!" When Dave asked him why he said that Matthew replied, "sometimes when I flush the potty I pretend it is a race."
I signed Matthew up for t-ball. He had his first practice last week. Mapleton has a "parade" on opening day of baseball. All the teams get in the bed of a truck or on a trailer that is decorated with their team name on it and all the players are in their uniforms and they drive a few blocks to the baseball fields. I love that Mapleton does that. I saw the parade last year. It went right by my house and Matty and I went and watched a few minutes of it. It was the cutest thing. I was hoping that the games would be at the fields across from my house, but only two of them are. The practices are there, though, so that's nice. All the other kids on his team are so young. They seem so little. In fact, I asked the coach's wife if I had him in the right group. The ages are 4-6. I wonder if I should have put him in the first grade group. But that didn't occur to me since he's not in the first grade. I guess since we don't watch baseball and it's new to him that it is better that he is in the younger group.
And I have good news. Dave was accepted into UVU's MBA program. For the last two semesters he's been taking prerequisits for the program and he applied at the end of March. It was no big deal if he didn't get in, as we had not planned on him doing this. Circumstances just happened to be that it would be beneficial and doable to have him get an MBA and we just decided to do it. It won't necessarily benefit him financially at work, but more education is always a good thing. And I figured while my youngest is still taking naps and I'm home bound a lot still, now is a great time to get it over with. I'm proud of him and how hard he works for his classes.
A couple weeks ago we did the earthquake drill. I practiced with my girls in a few different rooms. I actually emailed Matthew's teacher to see if they were participating in the Great Utah Shake Out drill. He didn't know but he wanted me to email him the website for it, which I did. They did do a drill that day, which I know schools do earthquake drills. I remember doing them as a student. I think I scared Norah a bit during one of our drills. I turned on the computer that had the earthquake sound during the drill I did in the office. She wanted me to turn the sound off. I wondered if during a drill I should stay where I am or get to the closest child to make sure they are safe, and Dave said odds are I won't be able to walk during an earthquake. I'd be too off balance and I think he's right. Duck, cover, and hold on. I think those are the three steps during an earthquake. I look around in each room and figure out the best place to be. In our office I grabbed Norah and Molly and huddled over them under our computer desk. But I wonder if I should have run and huddled in the doorway of the office. And we huddled on the couch in our living room, under the counter in our kitchen. I told the kids that at random times I'm going to yell out "earthquake!" and they have to respond appropriately. It's fun.
I've been thinking about modesty lately. On facebook there have been a lot of pictures of girls in their prom dresses. I'm kind of surprised by some of the dresses that they wear. Most that I see are sleeveless. I worked with a girl right after my mission who was going to go on a mission and she said she had to buy a whole new wardrobe because her clothes were not wearable with garments. I wonder what she will teach her girls. Will she teach her to dress so you don't have to change your wardrobe after you go through the temple, or will she teach them to wear tank tops and short skirts and shorts while they can? Does she regret wearing such short skirts? As the mother of a son I'm going to teach him not to objectify women, and at the same time I'm going to teach my girls not to dress immodestly so men won't look at them like objects. I hope that makes sense. I see some girls in short short shorts and I wonder how their mothers let them leave the house. I said that to my mom and her response was basically don't blame the parent and don't give them all the credit. Meaning (I guess), sometimes kids do what they wand regardless of what their parents teach them. I am glad I don't have to face these things yet.
Ramblings. My mind wanders. I've been listening a LOT to my Lionel Ritchie "The Difinitive Collection" cd. I especially love this song.
And here is a pretty version of it on glee. And it's funny. Even if you haven't seen glee. I think the girl has a crush on her teacher at this point in time in the show.
I'm kind of a sucker for love songs. I don't seem the type, do I? But I am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment