This article is a reason why I can't spend much time on blogs or pinterest. I have a few blogs that I follow, but I read them fast and am done. I can't read crafting blogs because that would just mean more things on my to do list, more things that I'll never get around to doing and that would stress me out. As it is I spend too much time on facebook, and it's not even a ton of time. I don't do twitter. As moms we tend to compare ourselves, or at least I do. I'm not doing this like so-and-so is. So-and-so does such-and-such and I don't. Then I had a realization. It was about my friend Jana, and I told her this, too. She and her husband like hiking and they take their kids hiking. And took them even when they were very young (which they still are). In my mind I always thought, "I don't take my kids hiking when they are a month old." Or camping, or do crafts all day, or frolic in the pool, or decorate the house all cute-like. Then it occurred to me: I don't hike. With or without kids, I don't hike. Jana hikes. I don't. And both ways are good. I yell at my kids, I'm impatient with my kids, my house often looks like a tornado came through it, and some days we don't even leave the house. I'm going to put that on pinterest (not really because I'm too lazy to figure out how to pin on pinterest). And hope that no one turns me in.
But I do tell them many times a day that I love them, I smother them with kisses and hugs, and I DO give them food and a fairly clean home. I have always thought that, if at the end of the day they are alive, fed, and laughed, loved, and learned a little bit, then I've done my job.
5 comments:
I think you do an awesome job mothering your kids.
And I think that you are right on with your "at the end of the day" list.
You rock.
and remember,
"Comparison is the fast track to misery."
Crap, I don't tell my kids that I love them every day, or smother them with kisses, and sometimes they feed themselves....sigh, I guess I'll work on those things. ;)
thanks for the link- that is a really great article.
it's so easy to compare. i often have to remind myself that even if i want to be good at something, or think it's important (like cooking, or FOOD STORAGE) i can't do everything. but i should do food storage. anyways...
it's a powerful thing to be a mother.
You're an amazing Momma, and your kids adore you. Love your honesty. xoxo
Post a Comment