My world
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
Bomb scare
Have you ever been threatened with a bomb threat? I have. Do you remember this bomb scare at a BYU devotional? I was there with my brother. We went at the last minute and were late, so we sat behind the podium on the benches. We were only about 5 rows up and so we were so close to where it all happened. I remember a guy in a white suit (I think) coming up through a crowd of people fairly quickly. I thought he was going to the restroom or something. Then he went right up to the podium and stood right next to the speaker, which was Howard W. Hunter. There was a lot of confusion. He said there was a bomb and that he had the detonator. There was no reason for us NOT to believe him. I remember holding hands with my brother. The man had a letter that was on the podium and he wanted President Hunter (not president of the church at the time) to read it, of course he refused to read it. I remember people just flooding out of the Marriott Center and a lot of women screaming. I told my brother we should go and he said no. I remember him telling me that he wanted to get the letter, or maybe he just wanted to know what it said. Then a bunch of people came down and piled on the bad guy. Then everyone started singing "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet," and I felt like a fool because I only knew the first verse. I still only know the first verse. Isn't that funny?
That was a day I thought I might die, or at least a guy threatened to blow a bunch of us up. I remembered this just now because I saw an article about them getting rid of the benches at the Marriott Center.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment