My world

My world

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The other Dave

Have you heard of Dave R a m s e y? He is a financial guy that I started to listen to on the radio 4 years ago. Dave and I actually took a class from him a few years ago. He is on 105.7 FM Monday-Friday from 7:00-10:00 p.m. I like his sense of humor, and he has a very strong southern accent (at least I think it is southern). Check him out at daveramsey.com

People call in and ask financial questions. He has a debt free Friday when people call in and tell their story of how they got out of debt. They say how much debt they had, how long it took them to pay it off and what their income was during the time it took to pay off. I'm shocked at what some people pay for things when they don't have money. You get people making 30K a year with a 400 a month car payment. Doesn't make sense.

A 27-year-old woman called in saying she just payed off her house. It was only a $70,000 house though, but still very cool that she did it. She bought it when she was 24 and wanted to pay it off by the time she was 26 and she did. She put down 40,000 and paid the rest off in under three years. She had so much money saved because her parents emphasized saving money and she and her sister always had a competition of who had the most money.

He talks about investing, charitable giving, tithing (he is a very strong Christian), and the best way to pay off debt. Basically his advice is if you can't buy it wih cash, you can't buy it. (Except a house, but the mortgage should be no more than %25 of your income).

I feel like I'm rambling, so I'll end here. But I love Dave R am se y and thought I'd tell my 2 readers about him.

No comments: