My world

My world

Thursday, May 31, 2012

On being tall

I'm fairly tall. I'm six feet tall. Well, almost 6. I'm about 1/2 inch shy of being 6 feet tall. When I was single if I met a tall guy I'd say I was 6 feet, if he was shorter I'd say 5' 11". I was always on the back row of my class pictures at school. I am pretty sure every single year, but I'd have to check first. I like being tall. It's harder for me to get in small spaces than more petite girls, but I'm used to it. I don't really have to go in small places a lot. But I do have to reach high a lot, so that comes in handy. I used to be petite. When I was 10. Does petite mean shorter or small frame? Sometimes I wonder when I see "petite" pants that seem bigger (not longer) than mine. If petite means short, well then, I've never been petite. Then I got older, then I had babies, then I got stressed, then I ate junk to deal with my stress. Now I'm not petite, but I'm still tall! I saw a very tall woman at WalMart last week. I felt short compared to her. She was at least 6'4". It was awesome. I wrote this because I was browsing online at shoes and I saw some big wedge heel shoes. Totally cute. I am not getting them though. Not because I'm so freakishly tall already, but because I am afraid of my ability to walk in them. I think I'd fall flat on my face. I remember just after high school going on a trip to California with a friend and a couple married friends of hers. One of the friends asked my pants size. I always wore mens sizes back then and I told her my size. She kind of gasped and said, "My HUSBAND wears that size!" She was kind of freaked out. I didn't care because she was heavy. I wanted to say, "yes, and you are fat. I'm not sure what your point is." But I didn't say that. I was thin at the time, at least 50 pounds lighter than I am now. So I just bought a bunch of clothes online. I decided I need to buy more clothes. I can never find pants long enough. Have you ever seen cute pants and you ask the lady where she got them? I did that today in the parking lot of my husband's work. They were super cute pants. Also, I have a lot of ear wax in my ears. So much that I couldn't hear well from my right ear. I went to the doctor today and they pulled some out and flushed some out. It was incredibly painful. Probably the worst pain I've ever felt. I must be totally wimpy, but it was horrible. Worse than my post c-section pain, worse than my other post-surgery pains. I've felt contractions, and I hated them. But I'd rather have contractions than have wax yanked out of my ear.

4 comments:

Adams Family said...

Wow. Kait had to get water put in her ear, for a balance test, and then have it drained. She still complains about it a little. Maybe I should have been more sympathetic. Do you think now that you will be able to hear better your kids will bug you more? Cause that could cause some serious eating for me.

eve said...

i had no idea it would be so painful! i've stuck a q-tip too far into my ear before, and that's freaky and painful, so i can only imagine..
i've often wished to be taller.

Andrea said...

Amy, it wasn't the water that hurt. That was actually a pretty cool feeling. I actually can hear my kids more, and it is more annoying. I can also hear high frequency sounds better than I did before. It's kind of weird.

joleen said...

You are crazy and I love you! I almost fainted when they washed wax out of my ear! The room was spinning and I had to ie down. But you know I am a fainter.