My world
Friday, May 18, 2012
Tractors, t-ball and Mother's Day...What do they have in common?
This post is going to be very scatter brained, but I promise I have a point to make. About four years ago I saw Dave looking at tractors on-line. I may have mentioned this part of my post before. I thought it was so odd and I DID NOT want him to buy a tractor. Why, why, why did he need a tractor? I had no idea. Later my heart was softened and I realized (actually, I seriously think it was the Spirit directing me) that "I married a man who wants a tractor". Let him get the tractor. And he got a tractor. And I was happy for him. I like that he likes tractors.
I signed up my son for t-ball and his first game was scheduled for May 12th, last Saturday. About a week and a half ago my husband called home from work and asked if we had plans for Saturday, May 12th. I said, "it's Matthew's t-ball game" and before that there is a little league season opening "parade". All the teams ride in the back of a truck or trailer in their uniforms and drive down the streets. People line the streets and cheer when their team drives by. It's the cutest thing. The parade drives down a street right by our house. Last year I saw all these people going over there and I walked over to see what it was. I absolutely loved it. I love the small town feel of Mapleton and the fun things they do. So I've been excited for a year to have Matthew be in that parade and play t-ball. So when Dave called from work he wanted to go to his trials motorcycle competition which was the same day as the opening game and parade. I told him that he couldn't go. He needed to support his son. I knew he was bothered by it. Later when he got home from work I explained in more detail why I wanted him to go to Matt's game. I told him he married a girl that wants her son to play t-ball and I needed him to support us in that. Honestly, I don't think Matthew would have noticed. I wasn't really snotty about it, but I did kind of put my foot down, which I rarely do. The next day I felt kind of bad that I had "shot down" my husband's desire to participate in the competition. The competition happens every month (I think) in various locations. So I told Dave he could go. I told him I knew it was important to him and he had my blessing. I wasn't testing him to see if he would choose to do what I wanted him to do. So he was going to go to the competition.
Saturday morning arrives and I told him that he better get out of bed and go. I asked where the competition was and I googled it. It was at least a two hour drive, which I didn't realize. He said he might not go. I got so excited! I asked why. He said because it is kind of far and his friend that usually goes with him wasn't going. I knew he wasn't staying home to please me, but I was still thrilled that he'd be able to see the parade and go to the game.
Then later in the day I was cleaning and he was on the computer. He left saying he was going to go to Spanish Fork and buy a motorcycle. He came back about 20 minutes later and I said, "did you get the motorcycle?" He said no and I felt bad for him. I looked out in his trailer, and there was no motorcycle. But there WAS something there. It was a freezer! He bought me an upright stand alone freezer. I've wanted one since we moved in. It was my Mother's Day present. After my grandmother died we inherited her big freezer and it died about a year later. I'm so excited to fill it up. He got it used off ksl. It is about a year and a half old, but looks brand new.
So, that is my story.
We went to both our mothers' homes on Sunday and it was fun. When I signed the card for Dave's mom I wondered what I'd like to hear from a future daughter-in-law. And it was this: "I love your son more than you'll ever know and I realize every day how blessed I am. Thanks for raising such a great man." So I wrote something like that to her.
I made Dave change all the diapers on Mother's Day.
It's more fun to mother on Mother's Day, don't you think?
I love being a mom to my children. I'm thankful Heavenly Father has entrusted these children to my care. It's a daunting and sometimes overwhelming responsibility, and often I don't feel like I'm up to the challenge, but I'm doing my best.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have heard those stories, twice actually, but I still cried when I read that. Marriage is so beautiful to me when the couple are willing to sacrifice for and think of the other spouse before themselves.
Post a Comment