I have a memory of me memorizing the third verse to "I am a Child of God" at my grantparents' home when I was around 8 years old. I was staying at their house for some reason. I think these are the words: I am a child of God, rich blessings are in store. If I but learn to do His will, I'll live with Him once more. I have sung this song to all three of my children as I rock them when I put them down for naps or to bed at night. I love this song.
That same grandmother passed away almost four years ago. When she was dying (the morning before she passed away) there was a friend there playing the violin to comfort her in her final hours of life. She had been playing hymns. She asked if I or my son had a favorite song. I told her that my son loved "I am a child of God." And she played it for my grandma. This morning as I rocked my daughter (who turned one today) I sang it to her and it occurred to me that I associate learning that song with my grandma and I suggested it be played when she was on her way back to meet God. I know it sounds odd, but it was very touching to me.
I love that song and that experience makes it even more special to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment