My world

My world

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

What happened to me today?

So yesterday was kind of tough for me. What happened? Well, I went to Wally world with the kids. I know, right? I always take all the kids and it hasn't been an issue until the last month or so. I mean, it was tough, but manageable. But the youngest Throckmorton offspring has proven to be the most difficult. She wants and thinks she can do all the things that the older two can. She fusses the second I take her out of the car, and she is especially bad at check out. Dave had gone motorcycling with a friend and upon his return I told him that he'd be in charge of the kids for the rest of the day. I'd be home (maybe) but he'd be responsible for them, as if I wasn't there. I needed to rest, clean, etc. in peace. Speaking of resting in peace, let me tell you about how I almost had to rest in peace today. I dropped off the middle Throckmorton offspring at preschool. Some of you may be familiar with Highway 6 in Spanish Fork. I had to cross that busy road to get back to my house. I consider myself a good driver, a fairly defensive driver. The accident we had last year was not my fault, btw. So I was the first in line to cross that road and we got a green light, and the left turn lane got a green arrow. So the car turns left and I hesitated for maybe a second, then I proceed forward. I was in the middle of the intersection when from my right (going south on Highway 6)a huge semi truck COMPLETELY runs the red light. I didn't have to SLAM on my breaks since I wasn't going very fast, but we would have been crushed, obliterated had that truck hit us. I don't know why he didn't stop. I can understand if he ran the red light because roads were icy, but the road was completely clear. He was going very fast. I didn't feel inspiration to hesitate that one second, but had I kept going, Dave would have one less wife and one less child. I always ask Heavenly Father to bless us to be safe, and today it was obvious that He did. It is a good reminder that life is precious. Life is short, and you never know what is in store for us. So I'm here (and my sweet Molly is, too) to live another day, and for that I am very grateful. Also, I vacuumed out my car in my driveway that leads to the backyard and I had the gate closed. I was in all sorts of weird positions and my butt was way up in the air and the neck of my shirt was hanging way low. I remember thinking, I hope no one comes by. But I thought I was safe. But I wasn't. Some workers are doing utility work in front of my house and they wanted to know if they could put a pile of small rocks in front of our house. I saw the man through the window and I stood up quickly to look as presentable as I could. I was so embarrassed. He was nice though. He joked that I could clean his car when I was done and I said I would love to if he'd let me drive his back hoe (or track how). He said he'd be happy to let me drive it. And that is what happened to me today. But the day isn't over, so we'll see what else God has in store for me.

1 comment:

eve said...

andrea, that is SO scary!! and i had no idea when i saw you. that is crazy. it takes things like that to remind us how fast life can change. and it's never as poignant to anyone who wasn't there. wow.