My world

My world

Monday, November 21, 2011

Potty training our daughter



My son was older when he was potty trained. He was 3 1/2 before we even started. Some might gasp in disgust or disbelief, but that is just the way it was. Believe me, I tried earlier than that but he wanted nothing to do with it. He got #1 down pretty good, but #2 was a different story. It took longer. Night time was not an issue, oddly enough. In fact, he would wake up dry for quite a while and that was a big clue that he was ready.

Dave and I saw on the news once that a mom "potty trained" her 9 month old baby. Of course she just held the child over the potty as it did its thing. She said you just pay attention to facial expressions and you'll be able to figure out which one is for when they have to go. That's too cooky for me. Changing a diaper is much easier. And less damaging to the child overall (less "issues" when they grow up). My kids will have enough issues as it is without me holding them over the toilet when they are 9 months old.

My daughter we started potty training in October. She turned 3 in September. This is also older than most girls seem to do it--I don't know.

Anyway she has done very well with #2 and also at night. She gets up at night to use the bathroom. I think that is amazing. Lame if I have to get up and help wipe her, but still very cool. She only had one poop accident and that was the first day or two. She still has pee accidents every once in a while, usually when she is having too much fun and forgets that she can now control when she "goes".

I don't know about other girls, but our daughter always changes her clothes. I'm talking 4-5 times per day. It's maddening. I thought that kind of stuff was encouraged by mothers, but I do not. We do not have this problem with our son. It's interesting to see the difference in boys and girls.

1 comment:

Rosalyn said...

I think there's nothing like having kids to help you realize all kids are different--and even boys and girls break gender expectations. I'd heard girls were easier--but Andrew potty trained in two days at 2 and a half (when Evelyn was like 2 months old--not my idea of timing!). Then Evelyn was at least 3 before she finally got it down. I think you have to take it one child at a time--and they're definitely easier to potty train when they're ready for it (as opposed to when you're ready for it, which isn't the same thing at all!)