I love buying emergency preparedness items. Today I went to (and canned at) the church cannery in Springville. I love, love, love working at the cannery. My Relief Society is going to start going every other month and I want to go because I like it so much. Not that I have to buy something each time. I bought powdered milk, black beans, white rice, hard white wheat, carrot slices, cocoa, macaroni, dried onion, and white beans. Referring to the link in my last post I wanted to get a port-a-potty type thing. So I went to Emergency Essentials in Orem and bought the 5 gallon bucket and toilet lid. The sanitation kit in the previous post was $135 + $10 shipping. I'd suggest buying the 6 gallon one, because you'll have a bit more room for storage. I also bought a foldable shovel, a solar shower, disposable gloves. I also bought a 3 day supply of MREs (meals ready to eat) and that was about $35. Dave and I bought two of those packs soon after we got married. It is said they last 7-10 years so in a year or two we'll open some up and see how they taste.
I also decided I want to incorporate an emergency training lesson during our family home evening times. Not that my year old or 3 year old will grasp it, but my 5 year old will. I want to talk about how to evacuate, where to go after we evacuate. Where to go in case of an earthquake.
Another tip I saw on the foodstoragemadeeasy.net website (or on their facebook page) was a printed out list of things to grab in case of emergency and each person has their own paper and own responsibilities, it was an "evacuation list". For example the husband was in charge of turning off utilities and grabbing computer items and the wife was in charge of 72 hour kits, wedding albums, putting fridge foods in the cooler. I liked that she has a "cold clothes bag" and a separate sheet for longer term items like sleeping bad, cooking devices, fuel supplies.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150337390538666&set=pu.18530253665&type=1&theater
I know this post is fairly scattered, but this is the way it sounds in my brain.
2 comments:
I love the idea of splitting up responsibilities, but what if you're like our family? There is a 50% or better chance that the husband will be at work when the emergency happens. So I guess the wife just ends up doing both lists?
Any thoughts?
I did end up splitting up the 72 hour kits into necessities that I carry whether he is here or not, extras that will be nice if he can carry the extra bag, and then he has his own necessities in a 72 hour kit in his car in case disaster strikes when he is at work, (which is most likely.) Anyway... since you think so much about this stuff, what are your thoughts?
Jana, good thinking. Maybe that is why the husband had computer things. Really his list was turn of utilities, and everything else was computer stuff. Computer items seem weird at first, but if you have all your pictures, and other important stuff on them it makes sense. But I guess it depends how long you have to evacuate. I read somewhere that in most cases you have 30 minutes to gather and go. Her list was the more important items. In a crunch I'd forget about the computer stuff. But if you are evacuating I guess you ARE in a crunch. Funny. I never thought about putting the necessities in my own kit. Odds are Dave will be gone too. Good idea. Do you have kits for each child or do you have their stuff in your bag? Matthew would be able to carry his, but obviously my girls can't (yet).
Post a Comment