My world

My world

Monday, June 13, 2011

With Father's Day approaching I wanted to talk about my husband. Some day soon I'll talk about my dad, but I feel inclined to write about Dave.

What can I say about Dave. We have been married for just over 7 years now. I don't know about you, but looking back to when we were dating and when we got married, I realize that we didn't really know each other. I thought we did, and I suppose if we're still alive in 50 years I'll say the same thing about how we are now. You know how people say, "I love them more now than the day we got married." That is one of the lamest sayings. Because why, then, get married at all if you did not fully intend to love them more and more each day?

Dave and I love to watch tv shows and movies together. I didn't think much of it, but I've been talking a little bit about that with a friend lately. And I realized that for us, it is a blessing. Some may think it is a waste of time, but that is "our" time and we sort of bond over it. Maybe it is weird, but that is us. There are many shows I love he doesn't and some he likes and I don't, so we sometimes watch them separately. For example I watched Law and Order: SVU all my myself (all 11 or 12 seasons). Sad, I know. Not sad that he wasn't with me, but sad that I watched all seasons in a short period of time.

Dave has saved me a ton of money in repairs. I mentioned this to a friend recently. Many people have to buy a new fridge if theirs breaks, but not me. I get to have the same old fridge while all the others get stuck with nice, new fridges. Suckas! Seriously though, I love being married to a handy man.

He is very gentle (in a good way). Some people might not see that, but I think those that know him well can feel that about him. It is hard to describe his gentleness.

He is not cocky and obnoxious. He knows how to work hard and how to play hard. He is smart. He has been blessed with an ability to retain information. At least information about how things work. Not so much information like locking the door at night or even anniversaries or how to spell our kids' names. I like to razz him about those things.

He is not a know-it-all (I guess that is a repeat of cocky and obnoxious). You know how some people think they know everything about everything and they tell you? He is not that person.

He is a great provider for our family. He's a great dad and husband and I seriously thank God every day that we are married.

He likes that I'm tall. He likes me better when I'm not skinny (which I haven't been for years, since age 11 probably), but he prefers me heavier. He says I was too thin when we got married. I'm glad I'm not a wife who has a critical husband when they put on weight. But that doesn't help motivate me when I want to lose weight.

He has nice legs. And since I have ugly ones I needed someone with nice ones if our kids had any chance in that department. He also has great hands.

Rock on, Dave. I love you.

1 comment: