My world

My world

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Making History

I've read the quote a lot lately. The one that says something like "Well behaved women seldom make history." I don't actually care for that quote. To me it implies we should not behave if we want to be known, or remembered. I don't know the history of the quote, or even who it originated with. I'd rather be well behaved and forgotten than be poorly behaved and have people remember me. Maybe I'm not thinking about it in the context of how the statement is truly meant to be understood.

1 comment:

David said...

The quote is from Harvard historian (and Mormon) Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. I think it has little to do with actual proper public behavior and more to do with what is expected of girls and women in terms of gender roles: a woman who doesn't have an education, doesn't work outside the home, etc., is unlikely to make it into the history books.