My world

My world

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Memories of mom and dad

My parents went on their mission to Greece a couple weeks ago. They spent a week in the MTC then flew to the island of Cyprus last Monday. I think they will spend most, if not all, of their mission in Cyprus. I've been reflecting a lot about my childhood memories and my parents and thought I'd blog about some of them.

I remember my mother teaching me how to pray. I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember kneeling by the bed next to her and repeating her words.

I remember asking her to leave the hall light on and my bedroom door open because I was afraid of the dark (WAS?) She was so sweet and granted my request. My son is now asking for his bedroom door to be left open so his room won't be so dark, and I selfishly want it closed so he can't hear the noisy tv if Dave and I watch a loud movie. Selfish mom, I know.

I remember my mother rocking me. And rocking me.

I remember when she'd put me down for naps I'd mess up my hair and walk out and say, "mom, my nap is over!" thinking she'd believe me since my hair got messed up as I slept. Right?

I remember me lying in bed calling out, "Mom! Mom!" And she'd always come to the door calmly asking what she could do for me. And she did do what she could.

I remember loving her toes painted brown and thinking she had cute toes.

I remember eating tomato soup and my mom listening to Paul Harvey. Maybe that is why I love talk radio.

My dad:

I remember him "making" us get up and do scripture study as a family. Even half asleep we all got something out of it, if not years later.

I remember him making special breakfasts for when my brother had football games.

I remember him letting the stray cat that we took in stay in the house one night when it was sooooo cold outside.

I remember hugging him after he confirmed me a member of the church.

I remember the importance he placed on studying. Not on doing homework, but on studying. I'd say, "dad, I already DID my homework." His reply, "you have to study, not just do your homework." I wish I had done what he told me.

I remember when my family met me at the airport after the MTC when I was flying to Hungary. I briefly saw him, but then he got a call that my sister's car stalled on the highway. She was with her boyfriend (now husband). My dad went to go pick them up and dropped my sister off at the airport while he parked the car. I was about to board the plane and my sister came running through the airport and I got to see her one last time. Later I learned that after I boarded my dad asked if he could go in to see me, but they said no.

I love my parents and will miss them very much.

7 comments:

David said...

This is really nice Annie. I don't remember anything before like 11 years old.

Unknown said...

I was thinking about my parents this morning. I was wondering about the kind of memories my children will have and whether they would be similar/ dissimilar to my own. You need to share these memories with your parents, if you already haven't. They would be touched.

joleen said...

I love the Kennedy's and have so many of my own memories of them too, I loved going to the grocery store with your mom and you, she'd buy us a treat. I remember her calling your car a "snot bubble" and laughing! I remember your dad would always let us have ice cream and no bake cookies and eat them out of the cup. I love the sleep overs, camp-outs, and dinners, or playing in the basement on the chalk board or in the back yard! Thanks for being my best freind and all the time growing up at your house!

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

This is really sweet Annie! It is great to have so many good memories with your parents. I hope I can do the same with my kids.

Katie said...

I got the "Study" line from your Dad too! I love this!

Kristen said...

Ya that sucked when my car broke down on the way to the airport. But I wasn't with Matt, I was with Dan and Katie. Dad had Triple A so he came until a tow truck could come.
Mom must have served A Lot of tomato soup and listened to Paul Harvey everyday because I remember that too.
I remember one year mom was juicing tomatoes for juice and we got into a huge fight with the skins and seeds in the backyard. The warners may have been there? Anyhow if my kids did that there would be hell to pay! M & D were very patient!