My world

My world

Monday, September 16, 2013

Reading

Matthew hasn't been a big reader.  He reads on grade level and we do at least the required reading for school.  I'm not a huge reader, so I've wanted my kids to read more in life than I do.  Last night Matthew said, "can I get a book like "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" or something like that for me to read?"  I read that to the kids along with a bunch of other books that they liked to listen to me read.  I had bought some Diary of a Wimpy Kid books from a yard sale and I handed it to him last night.  He was SO excited that I had them.  He would not go to be last night.  He read for 90 minutes and we had to force him to put the book down and go to bed.  This morning he had five minutes before the bus came and he ran up to his room to read more of his book.  It was too quiet with the girls up there and I went to check on them.  Matthew was sitting on his bed as the girls listened as they kneeled on the side of his bed.  I was ooverjoyed!  I said to him last night, "isn't reading fun?"  And he said, "yes, if it is something you like reading."  I'm so thrilled about this and I hope it continues. I'll be on the search for more books that he'll love reading.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

HOORAY! Parker is in the same boat. He is actually reading way above grade level, but he does the least possible. (i.e. what I force him to do.) I need to try some different books. Thanks for the inspiration. Miss you, friend!

Adams Family said...

Like. Man, having to type that instead of just click a button is so difficult.

Adams Family said...

Like. Man, having to type that instead of just click a button is so difficult.